Translate

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

More Mormon History

My lovely daughter went with us last weekend to Chillicothe, Mo. to see the murals.  On the way, I saw signage for "Far West" - which from my reading of a historic marker in De Witt, Mo., was a main Mormon settlement in 1836.  The "town" now consists of a Community of Christ Church, the site of the Temple that was platted with the cornerstones, but never completed, a general store, and a couple of houses.  The site had, at one time, over 5,000 inhabitants.  An interesting, but disurbing chapter of Missouri history.  I also visited the Mormon cemetery @ Richmond, Mo.  It is in a residental area and very well taken care of.  This cemetery is also the burial location of one of the most feared Missouri guerrillas - "Bloody Bill" Anderson.

This Sunday saw me take 200 pictures.  I am unsure at the moment of the visit and post counts.  Most of the posts will come from Lexington, Mo. where I took pictures of the Downtown Historic District.  

No comments:

Post a Comment