Translate

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Come and Take It! in Gonzales, Texas...

October 2nd, 1835, a band of Texian patriots drive off a detachment of Mexican dragoons attempting to reclaim two small cannons the town of Gonzales, Texas, had for defense against Native Americans.

October 2nd, 2018, one unsuspecting Jayhawk Waymarker drives into the town of Gonzales, Texas, wanting to visit this historic town and to use up some space on both the memory card of my camera and my GPSr.  I had absolutely NO clue this was the anniversary date of the "battle" that started the Texas revolution. 

I ended up shooting 205 pictures.  (I also got to eat at another Whataburger - always an added plus for this Kansan!)  Of those pictures, I got 53 new waymarks - kinda surprising as this town had been waymarked by 4 different people before me.  I also got 49 visits to other waymarks.  I did not mark visits to those waymarks that I posted new.  Great day!  Highlights -
 Gonzales County Courthouse
There are Gargoyles draining the tower
Always a nice find!

 Former Gonzales Jail Museum and Visitors Center
Victorian Era Architecture at its finest!
 My first posted labyrinth

Always happy to explore a
cemetery and find a Woodmen marker
This was the Masonic Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment